Slackware XFCE 3rd working linux image for the DT366

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Slackware XFCE 3rd working linux image for the DT366

Post by quotaholic »

This is the third edition of Slackware 12.0. This edition features the XFCE window manager.

On first boot please start a terminal and become su. Then run:

Code: Select all

netconfig

It will help you get your networking set up.

Included Software:

XFCE 4.4.1 window manager
Thunar file manager
Mouse pad editor
Orage calendar
Xcalc calculator
Xvkbd on screen keyboard
Pidgin instant messeger
Opera web browser
Xine multi media player
Gqview image viewer
NMap FE Metwork Mapping utility
Kismet Wifi Scanner

Included utilities/drivers

BlueZ Bluetooth protocol and firmware
MadWifi
RT2500
RT61
WPA_Supplicant

Please read some of the included slack book as it explains a great deal about your new operating system.

Starting up should automatically log in and bring you to a desktop. Shutting down is accomplished with the terminal command "poweroff" as sudo or su.

Image link is here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/agcc238/n/SlackXFCEWebDT_tar_bz2

Here is an alternate Rapidshare link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/223395572/SlackXFCEWebDT.tar.bz2.html

The tool dd will allow you to copy this to your dt.

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/to/image of=/dev/hda
It has been reported that the new Slax usb version 6.1.1 will properly read the hard drive and allow you to do a dd.

http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php

Please visit us in chat or post on the forums if you are experiencing any problems.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mugur

Re: Slackware XFCE 3rd working linux image for the DT366

Post by mugur »

Hi quotaholic,
I know that I want a lot, but can you upload this also to rapidshare. Thanks in advance...
See you
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Just updated my post with a rapidshare link for you mugar. let us know how it goes.

quotaholic
spouky

Post by spouky »

how about a ghost image please?  ;)

Thanks
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Sorry Spouky it would be up to someone else to make a ghost for you. I dont have windows. That new Slax dd method that Volkswagner posted on is super easy once you get the hang of it. Can anyone help out in making a ghost?

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

let me ghost this xpe image and get it uploading and ill  make a ghost as well of your linux
Mustafa

Post by Mustafa »

Hi quotaholic an all.
I have been reading and trying to donwload your links on this post and all other posts.As a new user who has no idea about coding , I am sure people like me will ask for those links and maybe end up waiting for weeks even forgetting about this device.I have not seen anyone using or hear about this device.I think it would be very useful after a Linux install.
Like I said the links are already gone and If I check other links they are not working as well.Is ther any other solution for these links to keep them alive?Regards.
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

hey kid there are 3 links and only one of them is broken. use the one that works. I think its the filefactory one.
Mustafa

Post by Mustafa »

Hello serialjoepsycho

I just find out my ISP has blocked some of the file share sites.Its fixed.I live in Istanbul and I am sure nobody owns this device here.I was thinking to use it for Linuxmce but now I notice I can use it for inventory management.The device comes with Windows CE 5.Im trying to chose the best way to ghost its image.I hope with Slackware XFCE would have Java and all other things not supported by CE.I am very impressed by the efforts people have on this device.I am not sure but is this a right choice for this kind of applications.I am planning to use a barcode scanner and maybe get an RFID reader later.Any idea? Hope my post is not bothering.Thanks.
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

I don't think I can help ya much but you should be able to get java on any of these linux images. They'll need some kind of tweaking. All of them.
Perhaps you could use a web proxy to download any of these. Tr that and we'll go from there.
Last edited by serialjoepsycho on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomparis37

Post by tomparis37 »

i get a kernel panic everytime i try to load it. I put it on a usb flash drive and wrote the img file to the drin with win image writer and it boots up and loads then when it going through and loading files it goes for a bit and then says kernel panic...i dont know whats wrong....this tablet i have has given me problems from day one and i just want it to work.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

The instructions I put in the faq will work. I cant support you on anything else. Double check your md5 sums on the images after decompressing.

For what its worth, anyone who has tried a windows based approach except for one person has never been able to get it. There is no installer its a raw linux filesystem. I make the images using the "dd" command. I hear there is dd for windows but I also hear it doesnt work.

Try the instructions in the FAQ and let us know how you do.
tomparis37

Post by tomparis37 »

well that didnt work either...so i think im just gonna sell this tablet...a ghost image of windows xpe or ce 5.0 will solve the problem but nobody here seems to want to help me with that....so im just gonna sell and be done with it and let somebody else deal with it.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

What didnt work? Where did things fail? Did you check the md5 of the image? Did it match the size I listed in the text file that accompanied the archive? Did you use a linux live image to do your transfer? Something like Slax? Can you use the usb stick for other things? Is it possible that the usb stick is corrupting the image? Did you use windows again?

I am reaching for weird things as many before you have had this image work just fine for them. I would try one of the debian based images for the reason that the buttons work on debain and they do not on slackware. In any even if you can tel us where the process went south or include details of your steps I am sure we can get linux on your tablet.
tomparis37

Post by tomparis37 »

well turns out the tablet is shot anyway. i wiped it out with boot and nuke and put a windows ce 5.0 image on it i found on this board and the samething i cant click on anything in the upper right and lower left corners and the ce clibration program just loops...so turns out the touchscreen is messed...so i guess im just out the money on the tablet. thanks anyway