Slackware -beta 2- "SlackIce" Another working image for the WebDT366

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Slackware -beta 2- "SlackIce" Another working image for the WebDT366

Post by quotaholic »

Hi everyone.

After making the first Slackware image for the DT I wanted to do better. This edition includes MadWifi drivers for those of you who got your DT's without networking cards. Also this edition features the IceWm window manager. Its very light weight and has a start button. On a touch screen right click is hard to do and many of the light weight window managers in linux require a right click. Hopefully you find it easy to use.

Included software:

Firefox       
VLC           
BitchX       
Gftp           
Leafpad     
Tuxpaint   
Galculator   
Xpad           
Xmahjongg      
gCalib         
Nano           
Pcmanfm
Xvkbd

I am hoping that someone can post a tutorial on how to make symbolic links and link directories to a compact flash card. There is only 50 mb left on the drive and I cringe thinking about how fast that can go. Please use your space wisely!

There is a "README!!" file in the home folder. Please read it. It has your password and login information among other things.

The installation and networking instructions from the first slackware image will work on this one. This image is a .img file made with the dd tool. Here is a link:

http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=457#p457

This was not easy to do, at all. In 500mb it was impossible for me to find a wifi utility. If you happen to get one installed and working please let us know about it. If anyone has interest in upping their memory to 1gb let me know. I can make a much more feature filled operating system in 1gb.

Here is the image:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/agbgfef/n/SlackIceWebDT_tar_bz2

Like anything I have two thing that I forgot to do on this, possibly three.

1.) configure alsa.
No problem as root run this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

alsaconf
Please select the top choice the National Semi Conductor option for your soundcard.

2.) To reduce the timing on the lilo boot loader we must do the following:

su

webdt

nano /etc/lilo.conf
Scroll to the line "timeout" and set value to "50"

save file to /etc/lilo.conf

liloconfig
choose expert mode.

Inspect or view your existing config to verify the changes you made. Enter to continue.

Then reinstall lilo to the mbr with the existing config by choosing "recycle". Upon reinstalling you should see a 5 second time out at the lilo loader screen the next time you reboot.

3.) Automount. Thank you alienBOB!

Errors will pop up on usb mounted devices when you attempt to access them. This is easy to correct. We simply need to add the "webdt" user to the group "plugdev". Start xterm and become sudo:

usermod -g plugdev webdt
Reboot your DT and enjoy.

Thank you alienBOB.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mugur

Re: Slackware -beta 2- "SlackIce" Another working image for the WebDT366

Post by mugur »

thanks thanks thanks again I was waiting  a lightweight window manager. Thanks
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

Symlinks are simple, lets say you have the cf card formatted and mounted as /cfcard

Now lets suppose you want to move the /usr/share/doc folder off to cf.

cd /usr/share
tar cf - doc | (cd /cfcard && tar xfp - )
mv doc doc.orig
ln -s /cfcard/doc doc

Once tested you can remove doc.orig to free up the extra space.

The tar magic is used so that any symlinks in the directory structure of doc are maintained. In english this tars up the doc file and send the out put to the file - (this is a special notation to indicate std out) std out is then piped to a command that cd's to the destination and if that is successful extracts a tar from std in.

Note to link directories or across file systems you need symbolic links (-s) the basic form is

ln -s

You need to be careful not move files that are needed early in the boot (ie before the cf card is mounted.)

Dave.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thank you very much for that! I am starting to get closer to combination of software and libraries within slackware that I feel good about. Performance is decent however now I need to find a RT kernel.

Let me ask you this. Do you know what situation would show a usb device as being mounted in the fs, however when clicked on it registers three successive errors dealing with security policies and ha in the pop up window form. Not sure where to start.

quotaholic
alienbob
Developer
Developer

Post by alienbob »

Let me ask you this. Do you know what situation would show a usb device as being mounted in the fs, however when clicked on it registers three successive errors dealing with security policies and ha in the pop up window form. Not sure where to start.
Just add your account to the "plugdev" group, reboot the device and the errors will be gone.

Eric
--
Eric Hameleers