US Robotics Wireless Card

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
mugur

US Robotics Wireless Card

Post by mugur »

Hi All,
First of all thanks for this forum    quotaholic. I have got my DT 366 from laptops4me like some others. As you are already aware, CE sucks in  terms of extra software.

I have found several very imporant ideas on this site. Thanks again. It has been achieved to boot and use the Slax and Nimblex 2007 solution. I am very glad. Meanwhile, the DT 366 I have bought did not come with an internal Cisco Wifi card. But I own an US Robotics 5410 PCMCIA card. On its website USR says that this card has linux support. http://www.usr.com/support/product-temp ... ?prod=5410
I think they advice to use http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/ solution. Can you, linux gurus, help me to port this to Nimlex solution? Also I am aware that people are really waiting to use an internal flash linux load.  Did anybody achieve this? Thanks for your help and time.
Best Regards,
M UGUR
Last edited by mugur on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: US Robotics Wireless Card

Post by quotaholic »

Hey Mugur,

Thanks for your post. I am very happy how this site has taken off. I am in hopes that it continues to grow as a good reference.

I have released one "beta" image of a slackware build that "works" on a DT366. Currently, I am working on an improved version of that image. The new image will include "mad-wifi" drivers that should cover a wide variety of pcmcia based cards. Hopefully your card is covered by mad-wifi.

http://madwifi.org/

For more information. 

Still waiting for information on Nimblex 2009. Nothing to report as of now. In the mean time watch for a posting later tonight on a new slackware image. The images I am building are designed to me installed to the internal flash drive.

quotaholic
spouky

Post by spouky »

good news quataolic... ;)

hope to see soon a ghost Slackware image...

thanks

Denis from Canada
mugur

Post by mugur »

Hi Quotaholic,
Thanks for your great help and you enthusiasm. I have read your other post.
forum/viewtopic.php?t=6.msg471#msg471
But could not see how we can prepare the USB for your distro  :)
Thanks everybody. I did not expect such a great community would be built in such a short time.
Regards
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hello mugur

wow I didnt expect you to be online at the moment that I made that post. Good timing! I am not sure of what kind of computer you are using but tomorrow we will have a ghost image prepared if you are using windows. If you are using linux then you can use the dd tool to move the image to a usb stick. Its not hard.

dd if=/path/to/your/image/img of=/path/to/usb/stick

Fill in the paths with the actual path to the image on your computer and the path out to the usb stick.

Hope that helps.

Oh and once you get this installed if you find that you are having a driver issue, let us know. We can always find more drivers.

quotaholic
mugur

Post by mugur »

Hi quotaholic,
Thanks for all your help and warm messages. With shame I request the image to be load to rapidshare.com. I want this since I have a very very bad firewall problem. Thanks for all your kind help.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

mugur try this and let me know if it works

http://webdt.org/Files/Slackware-12.0/
mugur

Post by mugur »

Hi quotaholic,
Thanks for the alternative link. I have downloaded the image. Unfortunately I do not have linux box. I have downloaded dd windows from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd I have used it for other purposes a while ago. I have burned image to USB. When I try to boot the DT with this USB it recognises the USB as a boot device begins booting print L9 99 99 ............................. 99 on screen and freezes. I thing there might be a litle endian - big endian problem or another weirdo. Maybe the bs=512 option I have used caused the problem.Maybe a problem happened while downloading. Meanwhile there were no slackware book and readme file. Can you also upload them to file area. Thanks again for your hard work

mugur
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hey mugur,

Actually I have to take that link down. That was special for you. If I get more than 20 people that download that image I start to run out of bandwidth for the site.

Now, you need a Slackbook. No problem. If you look back in that same spot I removed the image and left a Slackbook for you.

As for the readme file well, dont have one handy however I can pretty much tell you what it said.

Username :webdt
Password  :webdt
Rootpass  :webdt

You will need to follow Volkswagners post on getting your networking once you install this. Find this post here:

http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=457#p457

I am working on making this step not necessary. I did make one more image with rt2500 drivers in it since I talked with you last. I have just a couple things to do on it before its ready. SO like I say let me know once you get this in and if your networking works.

Other things in the readme were how to calibrate touch screen and how to shutdown.

To calibrate screen logout and login as root. Execute "startx". Get and xterminal in fluxbox and execute "gCalib 4" with the space. Touch points to complete calibration. Logout and back in as webdt. We can also use gCalib 8 for more inclusive calibration.

To shut down please become sudo and type "poweroff" in xterm.

Folks in the chat room have been using ubuntu 7.04 as a live cd. It will look terrible as your graphics break with ubuntu 7.04 but 5 minutes after screen "pulses" you will get a desktop. It sounds odd mugur but this is one of the only ways we are able to dd an image in to the dt. Let me know if you need a link to ubununtu 7.04. Its not easy to find.

quotaholic