WebDT 360 internal battery and other issues

Specifications and discussions on hardware for the DT360
wildrat

Post by wildrat »

Have just acquired a DT 360 but has issue with internal battery not holding any charge
And charge light will not stay lit just flicks on then goes out
Anyone know where to get replacements at sensible price
Also was missing the flash drive and the wireless card and quill
A hard drive out of old IPod fits? Do you think it will work to test out the rest of the unit?
And is the pci card standard upgrade the wireless
Has got windows XP tablet sticker so would like to install XP any one got any guidance?
I know it is striped out but have had bios up etc. and would like to get operable as diagnostic tool for cars etc. . . .
Do not wish to invest too much at this stage on unknown history Unless any one has damage one I could swap parts from???
Thanks John
Attachments
WebDT 360
WebDT 360
043.jpg (155.81 KiB) Viewed 61665 times
Dave7341

Re: WebDT 360 internal battery and other issues

Post by Dave7341 »

New battery here: (lots of dealers online) - search for TPMC-8X battery.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200627893760

Any mPCI (mini-PCI) WIFI card will work - this one works very well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220799192170

This one does 300mbs - so they claim (get the drivers!):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180783095558

For storage you can replace the flash drive or use the 50 pin 1.8" PATA slot as this model can boot off either based on your BIOS version. You will have to modify the 1.8" slot since it is not standard. First, check your BIOS version for v1.03.21 (best). In the boot menu you will have HARDRIVE (flash drive) and HARDRIVE2 (PATA slot). If so then you can leave the flash port empty and run just the one hard drive. You can put a drive up to 30GB in that slot.

The PCMCIA slot is typically used for a 3G cell data card on these models.

I have spare parts for the 360 that can fill in all your missing pieces. I repair these models. Contact me directly for more info.

I can only restore the OS that matches your COA sticker.

Contact me directly for more info. -Dave
wildrat

Post by wildrat »

Have ordered battery and should be hear next week
Have 5 GB 1.8” iPod drive to use as test but if all ok will get SSD 30 GB or similar
Have Mpci card that should be fine
Have COA for Windows XP tablet DT Research’s WebDT HQXK-PJTBM-FG-JC6-7TTHX-*****
I would like to get image to clone on to drive before install if possible
Is it possible for a car dock or holder? Charging base
Cant seem to see how to send PM can you reply to
John@GibsonEngineeringServices.co.uk

Thanks John
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

The best place where you can get a legal image is at a repair shop as part of a repair or upgrade. Search the web for a service shop close to you.

You can also buy the SSD from a DT Research dealer as an "upgrade" with the OS already installed. I can't find a part number but they use to sell the 4GB internal flash with XPte pre-installed. Just plug and play.

Also, with your unit serial number and UUID you could get a replacement CD of the original OS the unit shipped with - get that direct from DT Research support.
http://dtresearch.com/support/support_contact.htm

However, if a third-party integrator changed the original OS then that would be useless.

If a "legal" image is not desired, there are a lot of places to download Miro XP or other hacked images of XP that you could install. There are a lot of posts in the forum with links including drivers. These tablets also run Linux or Android X86 - again, search this forum for tons of info.

Best of luck, -Dave
wildrat

Post by wildrat »

What is the diferance between the flash drive and the 1.8" drives avalable
can any one explane "the modify the 1.8" slot since it is not standard."
is it just trim of the pin 44 ??
Thanks john
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

Hi John,
You do not trim pins on this model. Do not cut out pin 44.

This model tablet has four ports available for storage. First is the 44 pin IDE interface you can see on the back of your tablet. This is where you would connect the flash drive - also known as DOM. You must purchase the correct model since the pins are short. You can buy them from APACER - many sizes are available from 64MB to 32GB or more. No modifications are needed to the 44 pins. In the BIOS this port is referred to as HARDDRIVE and is bootable. You may want to buy one from DT Research or a repair facility WITH the OS installed as I mentioned before. That way it's plug'n'play.

Second is the 1.8" slot located to the upper left in your picture - it's that metal case. You can either buy the exact device that goes in there from DT Research that is a 32GB or 64GB SSD - solid state drive. No modifications - just plug it in.
OR you can use a standard 1.8" 5mm thick 50-pin PATA hard drive like the Toshiba MK1003GAL (10GB) or the MK2006GAL (20GB) or the MK3006GAL (30GB). These drives are common in IPODs and other media players and are available cheap on EBAY. You must modify the port to use these devices. I modify these ports and I pay my bills with the proceeds. If you want to try it yourself, get the datasheet from Toshiba for your model drive and then you'll know what to do in order to modify the pins.
The 1.8" 50-pin PATA port is also bootable and is referenced in the BIOS as HADRDRIVE2. You can buy these from a repair shop with the OS pre-installed too.

The third place for storage is the PCMCIA slot. The is the slot to the upper right side of your picture. You can insert a PCMCIA hard drive or a PCMCIA to compact flash adapter and use a compact flash card for storage. This port is NOT bootable. It's great for additional storage but not bootable for your operating system. A trick I like to do is split install XP on the 512 DOM that usually come on these tablets and then install the rest of XP on the PCMCIA or CF slot available in some models. This lets you have a full installation of XP or XP Tablet Edition even though you only have a 512mb DOM. XPTE needs a lot of space.

The fourth place for storage is the USB port. This could be the standard thumb drive or a USB hardrive - just about anything. The USB port is sensitive and only provides a minimum or power so if you want to connect a lot of accessories, use a power hub. The USB port can also be set as bootable in the BIOS.

Four choices for storage - some cheap, some expensive.

The easiest thing is to buy a 44 pin DOM with the OS on it - plug it in and go.

Good luck. -DT_Dave
wildrat

Post by wildrat »

Have contacted DT but 360 not spported
So cannot get correct loaded drive
Do not mind reasonable cost can you help
John@GibsonEngineeringServices.co.uk
wildrat

Post by wildrat »

WTF ??? ::)