Success - aftermarket Apacer ADM II 5v/90 degree DOM in my red DT360!

This is the board for topics that dont fit elsewhere in the DT360 board
yuppiejr

Success - aftermarket Apacer ADM II 5v/90 degree DOM in my red DT360!

Post by yuppiejr »

Hi,

So after speculating that this would work I took a Dremel to an Apacer AP-FM1024A10C5G ADM II 1 gig flash module (5 v, 44 pin, 90 degree) DOM to knock 2mm off of the connector so it would fit in my red DT360 (same ones all over ebay right now).  I then removed the master/slave jumper, swapped it with the stock 512 meg DOM and was happy to see the POST screen indicating the BIOS recognizes the drive.  Ran it through a format and it's running XPe without issue right now, browsed the web - played some media files, goofing around and no issues.

For those looking to upgrade, it's not rocket science but here's a more detailed rundown on what worked for me.

Tools/supplies:

- Small Phillips screwdriver
- Dremel or other high speed rotary cutting tool
- Safety Glasses
- Cutting discs for High Speed cutting tool
- Silver Sharpie marker
- Exacto knife or sewing needle
- Diagonal cutters (need to snip the master/slave leads on the back of the DOM)
- 800 grit sandpaper (small scrap is fine)
- Electrical tape
- (optional) vice or other means to secure the DOM while you work

Process:

Remove the battery cover and internal battery from your DT360. 

Pop the old DOM out of your DT360 and note the height of the connector - mark as closely as possible the same height on your new DOM's 44 pin connector as a reference point while cutting.

Secure the DOM in a vice or grip it across the narrow edge, fire up your rotary tool and start cutting from one end or the other of the connector using your Sharpie mark as a guide.  I suggest using the knife to remove excess cut material that will acumulate to keep it from gumming up your cutting disc but it's not explicitly necessary.

Once you get the cut started the cutting wheel will basically lie flat on the connector with the hub on one side or the other which makes for a nice straight, level cut the rest of the way across. 

Once you are done cutting use the exacto knife or needle to clear plastic debris out of each of the 44 pin connectors.  Use the sandpaper to clean excess brass from the connector's face.

On the flip side of the DOM board, remove the jumper and use your diagonal cutters to remove the jumper pins as close to the board as possible (below the plastic square between the board and jumper).  You can also un-solder these but I found the diagonal cutter did the job faster.

Use the electrical tape to cover the back side of the DOM where you removed the jumper pins to insulate the exposed solder points on the board from the metal battery cover.

Reinstall the battery, install the new DOM.

Fire up your DT360 - hit F1 to enter the BIOS.  Select option H (Misc Config), arrow down to "Summary Screen Configuration" and Enable it - set the delay to 1200 or so.

Save/exit and verify on the BIOS summary screen that you now have a 1024/2048 meg disk drive along with your phantom 1.44 floppy... :)

Enjoy!
Last edited by quotaholic on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Re: Success - aftermarket Apacer ADM II 5v/90 degree DOM in my red DT360!

Post by yuppiejr »

While digging through the spare parts pile I remembered my Dell Mini-9 uses a mPCIe based STAC SSD hard drive.. in a "why not" moment I decided to swap this with the mPCIe VIA wireless adapter in my DT360...

Absolute bust, drive is in no way visible to the OS or BIOS, ooh well.  :)
yuppiejr

Post by yuppiejr »

Since it looks like a normal 44-pin 5v 90 degree IDE DOM will work in the DT360 I'm planning to test one of the Super Talent series 2 units here:

http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=0 ... de&x=0&y=0

Note that there appear to be 2 models with significantly different speeds - the first two in the list I linked (8 gig for $46 shipped, 16 for $65) are identified as "Horizontal-2" and have significantly better read/write speeds (80/40) versus the other units on the page which seem to vary a lot.  Guessing any of them would be a good pairing with the DT360, I should have the 16 gig H2 model in hand mid next week and will report back with some test results.

Assuming these work it looks like a pretty cheap way to completely eliminate disk space as a limiting factor in putting Windows XP on these units and could put them in line with the low end iPad for internal storage...
jonas.hellgren

Post by jonas.hellgren »

Did you get the Super Talent memory to work ?

The APFM2048A10C5G and the APFM4096A10C5G seems impossible to find anymore.
This is the Apacer ADM II that is easy to mill down at the connector. I have the APFM2048A10C5G in my DT360 and it works perfect.

I have tested the ADM III and did not manage to mill it down without breaking the connector.
Last edited by jonas.hellgren on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
evilbob

Post by evilbob »

bought a 4gb super talent card from
http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=0 ... de&x=0&y=0

Right out of the box it does not fit into my webdt 360 it is slightly too big. So I took my DT360 apart and stuck the drive on I get a blue screen but no post if I remove the new drive it will enter bios and work just fine. First thought was the drive was not making a good connection as the connector is about 2x the height of the OEM drive, I'll file it down and see if that will make it work.

Outlook not so good on this mod.

Updated 10-5-10 used sandpaper to file the connector down it now fits in the Dt360 but does not work.
Last edited by evilbob on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

I might be able to repair those for you. Toss me a PM if you are interested.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.