Flash Rom

This is the board for topics that dont fit elsewhere in the DT360 board
ramwar

Flash Rom

Post by ramwar »

I am a complete newbie on this forum.
I have never dared to open up my tablet. But you have all sparked my curiosity here.
does any one know if the DT360 uses a 5V or a 3.3V DOM?

thanks
Last edited by quotaholic on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgrape2

Re: Flash Rom

Post by cgrape2 »

It uses the same one as a Xybernaut  T or S.
cgrape2
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

The DOM is 3.3V, and also uses a non-standard IDE connector. Check my posts on the forums for more in depth details about the hardware.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
yuppiejr

Post by yuppiejr »

With all due respect I believe this is incorrect information, I've disassembled 3 x DT30 units and in all cases the digit that indicates voltage in the Apacer DOM part numbers that were factory installed compared with the Apacer part number scheme indicates the DT360 moved to a 5v DOM.

Check out page 45 here:

http://resources.e-itx.com/apacer-adm-3 ... rev1.4.pdf

Here's an example photo from one of the DT360's I took apart: 

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o305 ... C02535.jpg
Last edited by yuppiejr on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

The inside of my DT360 (red case) is a little different. I dont have a pcmcia slot. Instead I have the flash slot and a mini pcie for the wifi card. Whats odd is that I took a 1gb card for the dt366 and I use it in my 360. Works fine.
yuppiejr

Post by yuppiejr »

I did some digging in a few DT360's I have access to (posted in the Hardware forum, maybe that post needs to move here?) and verified there are two distinctly different hardware revisions available - the .10 and .12 mainboard revisions, plus at least one interim variant that looks like it might be an engineering sample.  It's possible the .10 and .11 versions never made it into large enough release to make it into the secondary market like the "etch-a-sketch" red versions that are all over Ebay.

The .10 version has a mPCI slot + CF and PCMCIA
The .11 version has a mPCI slot + mPCIe + CF (I've only seen one of these, assuming it may be an engineering sample)
The .12 version has a mPCIe slot + CF and is the most common (all of the red units on ebay seem to be this variant).

When I opened up a variety of all 3 hardware types every single one included an Apacer 44 pin PATA DOM unit with the short profile connector and a part number APxxxxxxxxxx5G-xx (sizes did vary).  The 5 in the part number 2 spaces before the last dash (normally either a 3 or 5) indicates voltage while the last digit indicates it's a "green" part (assuming this is related to manufacturing without lead, etc..).

Does the DOM unit from your DT366 include a part number you could share for comparison purposes?  I wonder if the unit from your DT366 is specified for 3.8v but is able to run at 5v - though I'm not sure what the long term implications of running 1.2v over spec may be to the life of the part?

Two unrelated oddities I'm still researching with this device...

In the BIOS all indications in the Memory configuration screen are that the unit has 1024 megs of RAM installed yet I only see 256 inside of an O/S... need to to more tweaking in the BIOS and figure out what this is all about (unless I'm seeing info on the DOM SSD HDD though this doesn't track with some 512 meg DOM equipped units I've looked at).

The VIA network adapters in all of these devices have terrible range - I have swapped 3 units with mPCI slots into Dell 1350 and 1450 series Broadcom 43xx chipset wireless cards and seen a huge improvement in range and speeds.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I do plan on expanding this section to include Atigo models as well as format it similarly to the 366 area. My biggest limitation tight now is time. I have a dual position that involves being a full time employee and also acting as a live-in liaison in a corporate rental situation. I help people who fly in to america get used to things here and help where needed. We all work for the same company and we seem to work different shifts too. I spend for too much time driving. I will take the DT apart when I have time to to try to answer your question. Yes I have 4 wifi cards around here that I purchased from logic supply over the months. Only the ambicom compact flash g card using libertas_cs on debian seems to work for me. Atheros to RT series all cards I have tried just dont seem to take. 

Aside from this the update to this forum, that did not go well, has been taking a lot of time as well. Windows users are almost unable to register and sign up. The theme author is not helpful and to fix this along with the possibility of getting the chat room interface back on the site will require major surgery. The longer this takes to do the worse the information loss will be. This takes top priority right now for what ever time I can free up. From what I hear I have to convert this to a phpbb forum then back to SMF to fix the fact that this theme has "jammed" smf and wont let me switch to another theme. I currently have a bribe posted on SMF for anyone who wants to try to fix it. I am seriously hoping that someone takes it as the php that makes up this site is a nightmare.
yuppiejr

Post by yuppiejr »

Hang in there man, you have a solid community that is the ONLY consolidated source of user info/hacks/tips and tricks related to the DT36x devices I've found.  Running a site like this without the benefit of advertising support is a lot of work and I would imagine your user base will hang in while you sort things out.  I'd offer to help troubleshoot SMF but but have 0 experience with Linux or web server administration... glad to test IE8 and Firefox on Windows client if it helps though. 

Recall that Anandtech.com had a recent forum upgrade to vBulletin that took a couple of months to fully sort out (search not working, crashes and performance issues, etc..) so even the "big guys" hit snags that take a while to fix even with a paid staff on hand to do nothing but fix problems.

I'll dig around the DT366 area of the forums for my questions on the DOM hardware, I think there are a couple of other senior members here who might be willing to crack their hardware to answer questions while you focus on the site stuff.
Figueroasre

Post by Figueroasre »

It uses the same one as a Xybernaut T or S.
Buy DVD Online says hello to all of TV fans!