Functional linux image for the DT360 512MB

This board is for running linux on a DT360
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Functional linux image for the DT360 512MB

Post by quotaholic »

This is an image I made from Debian 5 partially upgraded to squeeze (testing branch). This is a unique image as it has been set up to be tethered via bluetooth. Blueman bluetooth manager is capable of linking the internet via bluetooth or any service actually. One cound even run gps on it and tether it with their cell phone.

The image runs the LXDE window manager and its standard programs. Gpicview, lxarchiver, etc..

I added Opera web browser, SSH, Rdesktop, LXmusic, and acpitool. Xvkbd and the needed apps to support the functionality of the buttons and touchscreen are also added.

The hard buttons toggle the keyboard, start the bluetooth manager, open the opera web browser and the last button is the return key. It takes up most of the drive but should work very well out of the box. Run blueman on another machine in proximity, tether the network via bluetooth and enjoy a fast functional operating system. Opera open very quickly and Debian runs great on the DT360.

The geode video driver is scripted in the xorg.conf file but if it acts up fee free to switch to the vesa driver. Pressing the power button will suspend the DT to ram but coming out I saw some weird things. SSH took up 11 megs with its deps so if you want something else in there apt-get remove some things and add away. The music and sound were about 8 megs or so.

Md5 is in the archive. Install instructions are in the FAQ.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a2dacc4/n/Debian-WebDT360.zip
Last edited by quotaholic on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taltos

Re: Functional linux image for the DT360 512MB

Post by Taltos »

You have any issues with the cf slot on this image?
my cfcard loads under puppy, xubuntu live, ect. but I cant seem to get it to mount using this image.  dmeg recognizes me pulling a card out or in but thats all it does. card installed into slot 1: is all i get as a log.

love the image though runs faster then puppy, i put it on a one gig and added a bit more so i could compile the vt6656 drivers on. just couldnt seem to get the bluetooth network running, I think i was missing something on my laptopside. But i wanted it more portable anyways. If i get the cf working going to try and for gps and nGhost for car pc look.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Now that you mention it I do remember something about cf card on that image but its been a few months since I have looked at it. Usually the pcmanfm package pulled in all the needed things for automounting and cf cards. Try removing it and installing it again. I usually used the "--without--depends" addition to aptitude when installing on a 500 meg drive.

How did the via drivers go? I stopped when I saw that dkms was needed and didnt go much further. I also have a 1gig drive. Did they compile in basic form or did you need to modify things?
Taltos

Post by Taltos »

I had to bring in the kernel headers and its dependancies and the make package added around 35megs to the image if i recall. then just make clean, make install. added a line to the etc/modules (out of the readme file in the driver package), and changed the wlan to eth0 in wireless preferances. I have no issues but i run an open network and havnt tried any encryptions.  I could probably remove the headers now to free up space again , but I might need to add some more things.
I will try the pcmanfm see how it goes.. thanx
Taltos

Post by Taltos »

Well I tried re installing the pcmanfm package, no go. Then tried a kernel upgrade, no go, tried updating udev, added pcmciautils upgrade pm-utils,no go. I am no linux guru though..lol  it scans the pcmcia slot for devices and finds pcmcia card in slot one.  but in var/log/messages there is  no card recognition after finding card in slot one. no referance in fstab either.
I am at a loss and cant seem to find any info on google.
I will have to try a different card and see, dont have one at the moment though.
ericvdb

Post by ericvdb »

quotaholic,
My wireless internet doesn't work correctly.
Is it anyway possible to get the original wireless internet of the Web DT360, working with your Debian 5 image?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Long story short, no.

Unless you have bluetooth running on a device that can act as a bluetooth network access point. I did it with a cheap USB bluetooth stick and ubuntu or my mac as well as windows with their native utilities. Actually I used Blueman on ubuntu, www.blueman-project.org not the stock bluetooth manager. Its the same bluetooth utility thats in that image I build for the 360.

If you open lxterminal and type:

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail
After trying to get wifi working and you should see some error associated with the driver for the card not being there or something like that. Up until ..... not too long ago VIA, who makes the wifi card in the DT360, did not support linux. No drivers. Not too long after I made the image you installed they released linux drivers for the card.

Sorry I have not responded to your pm as of yet. I have been looking around my archived disks for a certain kernel module I compiled after they did release the drivers. If I could find it it may work for you. Trouble is I can't find it. It may be for the best though as there are at least two hardware revisions of the DT360. If my hardware differed from yours the kernel module may not work.

I built that image from the debian lenny lxde & xfce cd sized iso on expert install mode. If you had the disk you could remove all the software going back to a cli and download the driver source from VIA, get the build tools and build the VIA driver for your system. If you don't have the disk I may be able to upload an image somewhere. Here is a link to the driver:

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6656_linux_src_v1.20.03_x86.rar

Then remove the build tools, reinstall the software (web and bluetooth possibly?). Which is tricky as room (disk space) is very tight and requires erasing all docs and man files that the programs toss on the system as they each install. I could help you out if thats what you wanted to do with what to remove and such. As I am recently single possibly I will build up another image in the near future. An image that has wifi capability. I have to move at the end of the month so it may not be until I get to my new location if I do.
Last edited by quotaholic on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

Option 2........

Replace the VIA card with the Intel 2200BG card - works great on all OSes I have tried.  It also has FAR better sensitivity for much farther range.  I use the Intel card in the 366 (LX) and the 360.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0637539502

$8.99 delivered - maybe cheaper elsewhere.

-Dave