Debian-6 DT-360 image

This board is for running linux on a DT360
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Debian-6 DT-360 image

Post by quotaholic »

Hey Folks.

I am looking at Debian squeeze on my DT360 currently. I need to use it for a day to make sure but I think I finally have a good one. For whatever reason the CF card recognizes as /dev/hda and as such I cant seem to get an automounter to see it. It can be manually mounted and browsed in the file manager. That is the one big to do on this image.

VIA wifi - working! Thanks to a staging module in the kernel and a fw available on the derbian wiki we have functioing wifi on the DT360.

I will play with it to test some things out and get my final configs right. That and I am using the E17 window manager as it just works better on 256mb of ram than that others.

Okay I think I like it so here is a link:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccdf281/n/WebDT360-Debian6-2011-06-13-01-img.zip

Please follow the instructions in this post for installation:

http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

Your username is: webdt
password: webdt
root password: webdt

There is another post here:

http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=0.msg3731#msg3731

That describes what I packed in to the image. There is one major difference. I used E17 for this build. LXDE is not on there. Well GPicView is but thats about it.

Kinda busy for the next few days but this weekend I hope to spit out another image that is LXDE and backwards compatible between both hardware sets. At current state this E17 Debian-6 image will work on both DT360 and DT366-LX800 models only.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
foreigner

Re: Debian-6 DT-360 image

Post by foreigner »

Hi all, first of all a big thanks to all of you for posting on this forum!
Without it, my 2 red dt360lx units, which I bought 2 years ago, would have likely ended up in the bin. Bought them to use as an interface to a KNX homeautomation (webbrowser based) but the performance was to slow to be really usefull (with the installed winCE image).

Reading that Linux was giving these units a decent performance I was thinking of doing that but as I'm a 'windows' man, I was a bit reluctant.
Now with the 2 images provided from quataholic and the detailed process on imaging the unit, I''ve taken the plunge and started with Linux.... :o
Did get them to work more or less but with some hickups and hope someone could give me a hint in the right direction for those.
I used the directions in forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1069 to install the WebDT360-Debian6-2011-06-13-01-img image.
Note for other noobs like me: do use the mentioned version of Clonezilla, latest version did not work! Also I needed to use the 'safe graphics mode' to start clonezilla.
Unfortunately the wireless was not working for me (with original VIA mPCIe card) and as I read that the VIA wireless card is not the best performer, I got a mPCIe card from an old Dell I had laying around, it's an Intel 3945abg but cant see it as an network interface.
modprobe -l *3945* does seem to indicate the module iwl3945.ko is there.

Question is now how to get that going as a live interface and visible in the Wicd network manager?

I also tried the 366 image WebDT366-Debian6-2011-06-12-16-img (see above topic). I do like the Lxde desktop :) but the cursor was way off and inverted.
Did get that working also (again, this forum gave me the hint)
  • Lxterminal
    sudo -s
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Under section inputdevice, identifier penmount added the below line (just before 'EndSection')
    Option "SwapY" "1" # invert Y axis
    Then saved file and exit.
    To calibrate the touch screen, in console:
    /usr/sbin/gCal 25
    That will start the calibration screen.
After reboot, screen was working ok on the red Dt360LX too!
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thank you for your post!

Sorry you had problems with the clonezilla. I too had the same problems with the "latest" this is why we linked to the "maveric" clonezilla image. On maverick, its slow but I think I forgot to mention that most operating systems try to use 1024x768 and we need to edit the boot line of all os's, even clonezilla, to read vga=771 or video=lxfb:800x600-16@60.

One of the images I made had the Via driver in it. It was the e17 based image. From memory I cant seem to remember if I did this to the LXDE image or not. I followed the instructions found here:

http://wiki.debian.org/vt665x

For getting the driver working. If you have the LXDE image installed this is easy to do.

After copying in the vntwusb.fw to the new directory, as per instructions, run a:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe vt6656_stage
and again

ifconfig -a
to list all networking adapters. From memory this guy sets as eth0.

For your existing intel card running the last command should tell you if its being picked up by the os. If it is not then things get interesting. It doesn't look too bad though.

http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi#Squeeze

Should get you pointed in the right direction. Let me know if you run in to any problems. Once that intel card gets picked up by iwconfig and ifconfig wicd should see it no problem.

As for screen calibration good eyes on the xorg file however penmounts drivers come with a calibration utility that needs to be run under sudo.

sudo gCal 9
Is the one I usually use. The number on the end can be adjusted to make more or fewer calibration points. This should get your screen fairly accurate and in the right axis. Penmount has been really touchy lately. They are making changes to their drivers and ones milage may vary. I attempted a large number of penmount driver installs and this one stuck. So I cloned it and use it. Ever since then I have not been able to get their drivers to work.
Taltos

Post by Taltos »

Can we use dd for this .img?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

No, I am sorry but at the request of many who are not familiar with dd I used clonezilla.

Here is a link explaining the process:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1069&p=3792&h ... illa#p3792

quotaholic
JasePatters

Post by JasePatters »

Hello,

Is there any chance that someone could direct me to a link for this image?

I've tried the link at the start of this post, but the filefactory link always have all their free slots in use (if they have any at all!).

Even the older Debian 5 image would be okay, as I'm desperate!

Thanks in advance :)

Jason
JasePatters

Post by JasePatters »

Typical!

As soon as I try the link after posting the above, I'm able to download the link!

Jason
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Cool, did install go okay?
AimieHudson

Post by AimieHudson »

The filefactory link always have all their free slots in use.
if your wearing uk erotic lingerie for sale online that makes you feel sexy, you're halfway thereto turning heads.