microxp setup

This board os for running windows on a DT360
cgrape2

Re: microxp setup

Post by cgrape2 »

Ummm I am a complete Noob with Linux(Besides what is on my eeePC.Is there a Linux build that can stand alone on a 360? Or for that matter on an Atigo GO Pad S?(It's very much like a webDT360)
cgrape2
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Well, what I did was plug a usb dive and usb keyboard in to the 360 and installed a version of linux in text form only from a cd. Then I built the graphic interface, custom configured for the 360, with all the drivers (minus wifi). Using packages that take very little space. Mind you that usb and compact flash wifi cards work well. Just not the internal VIA. So yes its very tailored to the DT360.

Is it a full distribution? No it has very limited function and space. Its a traditional file system. Linux can exist on many kinds of file systems. Puppy and others like it utilized a compressed file system and take far less space and load to ram.  Could be a more practical use of resources depending on that you plan on doing. I only use a web interface on xbmc to change media.

There is a version of puppy linked here on this site that can boot on a DT366. Have not tried a 360 yet but its worth a shot as it is more featured than my image. Look for posts in the linux section from Matt. He made a image of puppy that is 100 percent working on the 366.
Last edited by quotaholic on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgrape2

Re: microxp setup\Linux?

Post by cgrape2 »

I will do so!It looks pretty good to me.I think I can handle that much Linux.I'm in the woods with what you described.I can tell that I need to learn more about Linux!
Happy Holidays!
cgrape2
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Happy holidays to you as well cgrape2! Let me know when you will do so and I will offer to hang out on the irc chat line to be of help should you need it.
cgrape2

Post by cgrape2 »

Fair enough.Now the Holidays are past,there will be some time to experiment with the "Puppy Linux" build.
Thanx for the help offer,I might just need it!
cgrape2
yuppiejr

Post by yuppiejr »

Just curious if you've considered swapping the VIA 6656 pcie wireless card in your DT360 for something with better Linux support - looks like a ton of Intel units for less than $20 on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

I had a hell of a time finding drivers for the older VIA 6655 mPCI adapter that worked properly and still ran into odd performance and disconnect issues before I swapped with Broadcom hardware.  It's a shame they picked such a crappy wireless adapter for the hardware given the original retail price - I'm fairly sure it's one of the factors that led to an early retirement that flushed so many into the aftermarket in the custom bright red finish...
yuppiejr

Post by yuppiejr »

yuppiejr wrote: Just curious if you've considered swapping the VIA 6656 pcie wireless card in your DT360 for something with better Linux support - looks like a ton of Intel units for less than $20 on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

I had a hell of a time finding drivers for the older VIA 6655 mPCI adapter that worked properly and still ran into odd performance and disconnect issues before I swapped with Broadcom hardware.  It's a shame they picked such a crappy wireless adapter for the hardware given the original retail price - I'm fairly sure it's one of the factors that led to an early retirement that flushed so many into the aftermarket in the custom bright red finish...
... so it looks like the mPCIe slot in the DT360 is pickier than the mPCI version, while doing some other laptop work on a Dell Latitude D430 I borrowed the mPCIe Intel b/g/n wireless adapter and tried it in the DT360 - no luck, didn't show up at all in Windows to even install a driver.  I didn't have any other mPCIe wireless cards to try but this may require further experimentation to find an alternative wireless adapter.