How to backup your current os on your Dt 366

This is the area for everything that just doesn't fit well anywhere else
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How to backup your current os on your Dt 366

Post by angrymeat »

I copied this from another post I made on here I just thought this was a better place for it.
This is also the same procedure to flash a ghost image onto your dt366.

two  ways i know of  boot with knoppix and use dd . If you don't know how to do those I suggest the other way .
The other way requires these things .

a powered usb hub (meaning has an actual power d cord and does not rely upon usb power to power it. )
I picked up a Cyberpower one at walmart .

a usb flash drive that supports booting .
Again I picked up a pny 4 gb from walmart for $14

a windows 98 boot disk image
This was a pin in the but I had to put some damn virtual g floppy drive emulator deal on my pc and extract the image .  Well I will be  nice you just need to download the file below Smiley
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8607 ... eaa7bc68bc

The hp usb format tool
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

and finally  ghost.exe
This too was a pain in the arse I am  leary on posting mine but meh who cares  lets see how long it lasts
i think i got mine form one of those not so happy torrent places Smiley  but you can find them on a ghost boot disk .
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8607 ... eaa7bc68bc

ok now that you have all of that lets get started

put your usb thumb drive into your pc and open the hpusb format tool
select your usb drive from its drop down
select fat for the partition type
click create a dos start up disk and browse to the extracted  98 boot disk image
hit start
ok now your thumb drive is bootable with dos
put your ghost .exe  on your thumb drive

that wasn't so hard was it Smiley

now  hook up your powered usb hub to the lone usb port on your dt366

hook a usb keyboard into one of the ports
hook your usb  drive into another port
hit the power button on your dt366 you will get a blue screen start spamming your f1 key until you get to your bios screen
go into the ide config and make your primary boot device  usd hdd
hit escape  out to the main bios menu and hit save and exit

you should see a windows 98 logo in a few seconds after that you will have a wonderful C:
now type ghost.exe

the ghost app will come on and you can backup your current config at that point the app is pretty self explanatory .

this whole procedure also works for flashing a .gho image  onto the unit as well.

i know i probably left something out feel free to let me know and good luck this stuff took me a couple of pain full days to figure out.
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Re: How to backup your current os on your Dt 366

Post by david_halliday »

It is worth noting that the above will not make a complete copy of your existing flash drive.

Ghost is smart and will copy only what it thinks it needs. You can make it copy everything by setting the image copy type in Options. I believe the most complete is something like Image All and is a direct sector for sector copy of everything, you must however restore this to exactly the same drive type as it was imaged from.

These are equivalent to the command line switches -IA -ID -IB which are described in more detail here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on ... 2612540625

Dave.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

backed up and restored my  xpe an ce about 3 or 4 times with it no issue yet.
plane_crazy

Post by plane_crazy »

Angrymeat,

What options do you select in Ghost when making the image of the CE OS?

If you go to the options section the first button is "Default". After that are the other options - All - Disk - Boot etc. Or do you even select any options?

How long does it take to make an image of your CE OS?

I did "Image all" and it's taking 5.5 hrs. I am assuming that I could probably just use the default and not have to copy all of the sectors.

Bruce
plane_crazy
Mustafa

Post by Mustafa »

Hello !

I followed the Ghost image way.When you use default it took me less than 10 minutes and the result is a total of 32 MB ghost file.But when you try to check the integrity of the image.Ghost fails and returns to dos screen.Should I just ignore and start installing any other os? I never try to do Image All for 5 hours (mine says 8 hours).What is the best way to make an image for Webdt before removing the Windows Ce ?Thanks.