Outdoor usage

This is the area for everything that just doesn't fit well anywhere else
boardfun

Outdoor usage

Post by boardfun »

I am hoping to find out what types of environmental conditions the DT360 (or the 366) will work in.

I see that the specs has it at 0C to 40C, so it can't freeze (lcd).

I am most concerned about getting it wet.  The site doesn't have any kind of MIL SPEC or IP66 rating, but it seems to me that these devices can endure water splashes - not looking at underwater usage.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

James in Nova Scotia, Canada
n3qxc

Re: Outdoor usage

Post by n3qxc »

I have attempted to use mine in my car... it did not do so well at 15 deg F here in Michigan... I think the battery had the issue... I tried to power it up while it was cold and the charger circuit smoked on my 360. I removed the battery and the unit still functions on direct 12vdc, but will not work with a functioning battery installed.

As far as water/splash and spills... there is the opening for the mic and what looks to be a reset hole on the front of my 360. I also have had my unit apart and there are no gaskets or water protection on the circuits. The buttons are protected with rubber cutouts, but I wouldn't use them in heavy rain or snow...

Wondering if the touch screen would function if the unit was in a ziplock bag?...
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Outdoor usage

Post by volkswagner »

n3qxc wrote: I have attempted to use mine in my car... it did not do so well at 15 deg F here in Michigan... I think the battery had the issue... I tried to power it up while it was cold and the charger circuit smoked on my 360. I removed the battery and the unit still functions on direct 12vdc, but will not work with a functioning battery installed.

As far as water/splash and spills... there is the opening for the mic and what looks to be a reset hole on the front of my 360. I also have had my unit apart and there are no gaskets or water protection on the circuits. The buttons are protected with rubber cutouts, but I wouldn't use them in heavy rain or snow...

Wondering if the touch screen would function if the unit was in a ziplock bag?...
The screen will work inside a ziploc, but it may increase trapped heat, depending on usage.  I wish the iPhone would operate this way, as my wife sometimes soaks in the tub with her phone... as I cringe just writing it...let alone handing her the phone!
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier