Core requirements for hacking your WebDT

This is the area for everything that just doesn't fit well anywhere else
casm

Core requirements for hacking your WebDT

Post by casm »

I'm starting this thread to help document some of the basics involved in hacking your WebDT.  This is partly for my own reference, but largely so that newcomers know what to have on hand before diving in.  I'm writing this from the standpoint of having worked on my own WebDT 366, so YMMV slightly.

Hardware, required:

- 4-port USB hub (USB 1.1 used onboard the device; USB 2.0 hub capable of USB 1.1 OK)
- USB Keyboard
- USB Mouse
- USB Flash Drive (1GB minimum recommended; needed to install compact OSes)

Hardware, optional:

- USB CD-ROM (if installing a full-size OS)
- 4GB FlashROM (needed for full-size OSes)
- Compact Flash card (additional storage space not used for OS installation; 1-4GB recommended)
- Blank CDRs, OS images, ability to burn images to CDRs, etc.

'Full-size' OSes are things like XP Pro, CentOS, etc. - ones typically intended to be installed from CD to a hard disk and providing a wide variety of functionality and applications.  'Compact' OSes are ones such as XP Embedded, Slax, Nimblex, etc. Typically, these are intended to provide an installed footprint suitable for booting from either a USB flash drive, other removable media, or the standard 512MB internal FlashROM, but with more basic functionality and a smaller pool of included applications.

Software, required:

- Your operating system of choice; Windows or Linux, typically.  This is up to you, and it's recommended that you read through both the Linux on a WebDT and Windows on a WebDT forums to see what people are using and to what degrees of success.

Software, optional:

- The drivers and applications you want your OS of choice to run.  At a basic level, most people will want drivers for the touchscreen and Cisco Aironet 350 card; the hard buttons on the front of the unit and audio would likely also be desirable.  Probably the most universal application will be a web browser of some sort.  An MP3/media player, PDF reader, and others would likely be nice to have as well.  Really, this is determined by how you want to use your WebDT - which, again, is up to you.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Core requirements for hacking your WebDT

Post by Foxx »

I use USB Multiboot V10 to make my USB Thumbdrives bootable with my Windows OS install. I did a tutorial on how to use it on BSoD

http://forums.bsodtv.org/Episode-30-Windows-XP-NT5-USB-Multiboot-t530.html

Be forewarned that the WebDT units can get a little bitchy at what USB devices are hooked in. If a USB Drive of sorts is giving you an issue, switch it out with something else if you can. The port is also USB 1.1 so the install will take a long time... I mean  LONG time.

For those of you installing any sort of Windows, good luck. nLite is your friend! 512MB is not a lot of room to work with. Widows Drivers can be found here: http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.