Mods - 1Gb flash memory module

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Mods - 1Gb flash memory module

Post by quotaholic »

I'm sitting here watching a standard installation take place on my DT and I am had to post.

Recently I bought a 1 gb flash module and followed angrymeats nice tutorial on how to get it installed.

Next I threw in "debian lenny with xfce and lxde" but opted for a minimal install. I you want to follow along it was kinda fun. Minimal install is accomplished by opting for "expert graphical". There may be more ways to get minimal this is just the path I followed.

When asked which installation modules  you want to use get the majority of them. Especially anything doing with aes, wifi, ip or pcmcia. The ppp stuff is ok to leave off

Install base software,

Skip installing packages,

Install Grub(went with grub2 suggestion),

Finished install and rebooted.

After reboot and login I did a

Code: Select all

df 
for "disc free" and got 334,384 used leaving 498584 out of a total of 877544 making 41 percent used.

My partitioning was the suggested 128 of swap (on the flash) and 901 of /hda1

Logical volumes were established.

I went for kernel 2.6

Now here is an interesting question, will that move the information over the geometry of the flash over time to write balance?

I plan on fstabing my home to the cf flash and running as many apps there as possible.

BTW does anyone know how to add ones self to the debian sudoers list?

Edit 4-5
Went to bed once I realized the penmount package in debians tree was a fraction of the size of the package one gets off of penmounts site. No calibration tool in the apt tree. Seems that is needed. I was able to get action on the touchscreen however it was not accurate or usable.

Debian Lenny is quite snappy when installed from a minimal start. I put JWM on it and satisfied the x requirements. Went for alsa and pcmanfm as the only packages I have installed so far. Networking is up and apt-get update took less than 5 seconds. So far out of a 901mb partition I have used 73 percent on the "necessities". Mind you xorg brought a lot of drivers I wont need I do have some fat I can trim. Hope to reinstall touchscreen driver this evening. Have errands to run this afternoon.

quotaholic

http://picasaweb.google.com/dkuchay/Apacer#5321612096014357394
Last edited by quotaholic on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.