USB CD-Rom problem

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
palladyn

USB CD-Rom problem

Post by palladyn »

Hi

I just bought WebDt366 and try to install XPE as described in one of the topics here but my USB DVDdrive do not want to boot cd. I  have tried with many bootable CD`s and i start to think that problem is in DVDdrive. I know it can boot system up ( i have installed systems on my own PC from this drive ) but i guess it can not boot webDT.
My USB drive is LG SuperMulti DVD writer. My question is: have anyone try this with DVD writer , can it be booted up by DVD ?

BTW. Windows CE 5.0 find this DVD writer and read every CD normal
Last edited by palladyn on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: USB CD-Rom problem

Post by quotaholic »

DVD: yes, I boot to dvd all the time from an HP external dvd writer. Some things that come to mind are is your hub and dvd writer both usb 2.0 and 1.1 capable? Try only the dvd drive in to the hub at first to see if it takes. I have issues sometimes when more than 1 thing are plugged in.  These are testy little devices. Took my 6 usb drives before I found one that woorked to boot from. Good luck!

quotaholic
palladyn

Post by palladyn »

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I have tried to boot up only with DVD drive connected to USB port ( without hub ) but its use less it did not boot up :( after loading up Win CE, DVD drive is detected by WebDT, my guess is that it will not boot form this particular DVD drive :(. I am getting realy crazy with this. It is first time i have such problems with any kind of device :( is there a way to install microXP from PenDrive , not DVD ?
plane_crazy

Post by plane_crazy »

Does your external DVD have a seperate power cable. Mine does and the only way I can boot to it is by plugging the power cable into my laptop? I have tried plugging it into a powered hub - no go, I tried plugging it in to a 110V to USB charging adapter - no go, on it's own without power - no go.

So go figure. You can never tell what will work and what will not. You my friend are just getting started. Welcome to the world of DT!!!

Bruce
plane_crazy
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Did you set the BIOS to boot to USB?  Do you have a USB keyboard to [url=http://"http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6"]get into the BIOS[/url]? 
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
palladyn

Post by palladyn »

Yes i have done it, yesterdey i tried difrent USB Hub and everythyn works except DVD drive. I have start to install XPE from DOS but there is no DOS installer like in XP/2K :( i am trying now with Micro XP but after waching files from CD-ROM i did not found any *.exe file who can run from DOS so i guess installer have to be booted from CD-ROM.
vasko

Post by vasko »

In the most cases you wouldn't be able to boot from CDROM, the problem is that the BIOS starts the +5V on the USB out too late.., and the delay time which can be set in the BIOS actually - doesn't work. So the only working way is to provide the usb device ( USB CDROM, converter IDE to USB ) constant power. If you have a USB CDROM with it's on power supply - will work, about the IDE to USB converters - most of them use the power from the USB, so it will work only this way:
[img width=480 height=310]http://webdt-366.cincev.com/webdt_cdrom.png[/img]

it's tested from me and works !

P.S. you CAN start the installation of 2000/XP from DOS, just ChangeDir to intallation source and type:
CD I386\
WINNT.EXE
Last edited by vasko on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.