Connect CF-card to IDE2 JHDD2

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
Russ}{akep

Connect CF-card to IDE2 JHDD2

Post by Russ}{akep »

Hi everyone!
So I became a happy owner of DT!
3 days examined almost all the forum and come to the conclusion, that there is a chance to connect CF-card to IDE2 JHDD2 has 50 pins, 40 of which (7-46) are ATA standard.

If use this scheme connection CF to IDE http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/IDE_to_CompactFlash_(CF)_adapter_schematic, it can be allowed to use CF as second HDD.
Because the place is very small, then I think can just solder CF-card using wires directly to the motherboard.

But I dont sure would bios to use second HDD as bootable?

Well, who as thinks about this?
rectic

Re: Connect CF-card to IDE2 JHDD2

Post by rectic »

There is a hard drive revision of the 366, which used this exact spot. It had a hard drive like the original ipod.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

Thats one of the images from my documentation, you cant hook a CF header up to HDD2. I did, and it fried my CF Card. Dont bother.

Plus to make it fit you need to take the onboard CF card header off the motherboard, and that itself is very risky. Unless you know how to do SMD solder rework, I wouldnt suggest it. Wait a second, you cant get JHDD2 working anyway, so even attempting it is just pointless and possibly deadly for the WebDT.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
Russ}{akep

Post by Russ}{akep »

Hi, Foxx! Yes, you're right, this is your picture, thank you for it.
There are 2 ways to accommodate CF header on the motherboard:
1. Take CF header from some card-reader, separate contact group and cut off squarely CF-card itself.
2. Take an existing CF connector on the motherboard, cut his contacts and and solder wires to JHDD2.
But I have no eligible soldering station to check all.
Foxx, I never understood, you tried to solder CF header up to HDD2? You burned CF?
If everything still solder CF header, whether the BIOS to recognize HDD2? Or need to have a different version of BIOS?

P.S. On this resource are successfully add HDD2 to EeePC ASUS.
Last edited by Russ}{akep on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

The Asus EEE is vastly different from the WebDT hardware.  This is what I did:

Removed the Compact Flash Header (pretty much ruined it in the process).
Obtained a REPLACEMENT Compact flash header, installed it to JHDD2
Inserted Compact Flash Card
Destoryed said Compact Flash Card

It may be possible to adapt the Compact Flash Header to an IDE one, but you will have to scrap your onboard CF header to make room, and to be god honest, most of the people here cant even install Windows or Linux, I have some major doubts they know which end of a soldering iron to hold. If they did know, the risk factor is just WAY too high. Plus there is absolutely no room inside the WebDT for any sort of drive except Microdrive, which tends to be more money than what most of us have paid for a WebDT.

Ive hooked up IDE drives to my onboard flashrom connector. I am working on some circuit board designs to allow people the option to hook up whatever they have, however it will require you to cut the case and route the proper cables and adapters. When I get this finished I will post some decent pics and make the PCB art and what not available (perhaps build a handful of adapters and pawn them off to people here).

Once I get my work on JHDD1 done I may look into adding a second drive into JHDD2 via cable and gender benders, but I really think the solder work on the pads are too risky to validate adding a second drive. Most people here would be happy to have just one working right now.
Russ}{akep

Post by Russ}{akep »

Very strange, why your CF card Destroy?
Most people, who have mod of Asus EEE, successfully hook CF as second IDE. And I don't think that the signals on the connector  Asus EEE differ from WebDT.  MiniPCIe of EeePC and  JHDD2 of WebDT have the same signals.
Foxx, maybe you mixed up the wires? You know what first contact of sandart IDE connector is 7-th of JHDD2 on motherboart WebDT?
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

I dont know why the Compact Flash Card fried, I can only suspect that the header is not in fact... compact flash compatible. It could be that it can only support Microdrives, but I am not about to toss an expensive Microdrive on the bus to find out I am wrong.

You are comparing apples to oranges with the WebDT and Asus EEE. It doesnt matter how much you know about other hardware, its not applicable to the WebDT. I made too many assumptions about the WebDT before I bought it just to find out they were all wrong, like it using Compact Flash to boot, or an easy to mod IDE chain header, or possibly booting from the onboard Compact Flash Slot. All of my assumptions from working with other devices did not apply to this device.
gdemean

Post by gdemean »

IDE2 JHDD2 is not a CF or Micodrive interface, its an 1.8" HDD the same that is used in the OQO 01 and with some of the IPOD's.
rectic

Post by rectic »

gdemean wrote: IDE2 JHDD2 is not a CF or Micodrive interface, its an 1.8" HDD the same that is used in the OQO 01 and with some of the IPOD's.
Yes, you are correct.

I've got an old HDD revision laying around somewhere - it's a drive like the old ipods. The device has had bsod problems, even though it runs the official xpe image.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

Interesting find. I assumed this was an IDE header, but I havent been able to get a pinout for it. Do you know of any headers that will fit on the PCB and give the proper ZIF connection for a 1.8" HDD? I have a couple of 1.8" drives  here, but I am not going to blindly hook a 30GB drive to the DT just to find out its going to get fried like my Compact Flash card assumption.

Also, to get the drive to physically fit in the WebDT 366 you still have to remove the onboard CF card header and ejector, correct? I just got a replacement in so I can put it back on my WebDT, I wont bother if I can just slam a ZIF header on JHDD2 with a 1.8" HDD.
rectic

Post by rectic »

The drive takes the CF slot basically - it's how they were built at one point I guess. I think they were the ones that ran XP Pro (saw some on eBay a month or two ago).

I've got no ideas on the pin out. The CF location on the motherboard is still there, but instead, this spot is what is being used. I'd take pictures, but I've got no idea where the device is (just moved - it's in a box).
D.avats

Connect CF card to IDE2 JHDD2

Post by D.avats »

no idea wich ones to get and how to connect em can u help me choose 1?
muk

Post by muk »

did you get this worked out
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

[img width=480 height=360]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_i7ymkA4U878/SgjQV ... G_0016.JPG[/img]

Yup.

[img width=480 height=360]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_i7ymkA4U878/StKTt ... 110179.JPG[/img]

Double Yup

[img width=480 height=360]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_i7ymkA4U878/TEJYE ... G_1238.JPG[/img]

Tripple Yup!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/FoxxOTG/WebDT#

Just make sure your drive has the ability to run off 3.3V. I even have a 1.8 inch 30GB IDE Drive hooked up and this puppy FLIES compared to the PIO modes the FlashROM gets.
drc-wartex

Post by drc-wartex »

is there significant energy saving in connecting this way VS booting off a USB hard drive that uses USB power?