Dock uses

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
Bebeman

Dock uses

Post by Bebeman »

I just recieved a dock...aside from the charging abilitiy and the 2 usb ports, is there advantages to using it?
I had read in one of the post about Activesync use being a possibility (I'm using CE)...anyone have any experience with da dock? This WebPad reminds me of the SimPad SL4 from seimens great little unit, but it has some of the same issues as this unit (lack of software).
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dock uses

Post by quotaholic »

During the days that this was used as a home automation controller the dock allowed a home automation customer a number of advantages. Not requiring the easel one can put the DT upright on a desk and not be concerned about charging. If I am not mistaken that dock also has an infrared port which allowed for more control options in this configuration.

Thats just one. Think about how these were marketed when they were new and there are lots of uses for the dock. The DT was never designed to "active sync". That term came about after the dt was produces and is more reflective of how a cell phone or PDA is designed. These were military spec devices put to industrial and high end applications that were manufactured around 2001.

Unless someone ported a way to make these active sync I dont believe it is possible. CE can be found on anything from harmony remote controls to industrial touch panels. This version was designed to be a terminal server client more than a mobile device. Much like a lot of seimens devices.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

As defined by microsoft in their Windows Mobile Developer Center, "ActiveSync" is:
Microsoft� ActiveSync� synchronizes data between a desktop computer and the Windows Mobile-based device. Application Manager for ActiveSync installs and removes applications on the Windows Mobile-based device when the device is connected to the desktop computer.

And Webopedia defines ActiveSync as:
ActiveSync is Windows Mobile software that allows you to synchronize Windows Mobile and other Windows CE-based devices with a Windows-based PC or Exchange Server. If your PC is running Windows Vista, synchronization is managed through the Windows Mobile Device Center. For earlier versions of Windows, you can download ActiveSync. The latest version of ActiveSync allows you to synchronize Microsoft Outlook information, Microsoft Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications to and from your device.
So from this we can determine that:

A:) ActiveSyc was targeted at devices running windows mobile and SOME versions of windows CE. Bear in mind that windows CE can be made in to just about anything including an infrared remote control. Or a remote terminal client as we have.

B:) If the DT were capable of an "ActiveSync" we could easily do this with Windows Vista as Vista includes a mobile device manager. Anyone with a component USB kit should be able to facet their cable with two of the same ends and get connected to their PC running Vista to test this.

Having worked for equipment providers that lease large numbers of hardware I am familiar with a loading environment. This is almost a test station that will be an all inclusive interface that will run a hardware diagnostic (white port on back possibly?) as well as load the unit with the proper operating environment for the application it is being shipped to. I dont know how this "bench environment" resembles ActiveSync as they are not the same.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

Can you tell us if the dock has USB 1.1 or 2.0? Do you have the dock with network, if so can you let us know what kind of network chipset its using from device manager (or varient system utility for your OS).
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
ynopum

Post by ynopum »

WebDT Pins (Numbered looking at front of cradle):

Power Connection is on the right-hand side of the cradle:

USB B connection is on left-hand side of the cradle, the two USB A connections are on the front:

Reading the table: The number to the left of the ":" is the pin number, the number to the right is the number on the usb connection number (as I numbered them).

1: (Unknown)
2: U13
3: U9
4: U2, U6, U11
5: U12
6: (Unknown)

7: U5, U10, U15
8: U8
9: P1
10: U7
11: U14
12: (Unknown)

13: (Unknown)
14: (Unknown)
15: (Unknown)
16: P2
17: (Unknown)
18: U1

Pins U3 and U4 connections' are unknown presently.

Source: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/WebDT_366
matt
Developer
Developer

Post by matt »

My understanding is that the dock also had an ethernet port? Perhaps those unknown pins are the ethernet connection...
rectic

Post by rectic »

matt wrote:
My understanding is that the dock also had an ethernet port? Perhaps those unknown pins are the ethernet connection...
The new style dock has the ethernet, for the 360. The 366's dock does not.