DT360 better than DT366??

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
plane_crazy

DT360 better than DT366??

Post by plane_crazy »

Hello all,

Just joined your forum. I have been lurking for a few days now and decided to join. I am looking at purchasing one of Sunnyvoip's units from ebay. I just want it to play with (try to install Linux etc) while at the same time getting my daily dose of internet. Maybe SunnyVoip could give us all a smokin' deal on some of those units he's got  ;D

I am not a guru of any sort. Could probably be categorized as an advanced user. Played with Linux a little bit on PC's in the past.

Question is - he is offering the DT360 for ~150.00 more than the DT366. Is the increase in price worth it?
You do get a docking stand. The increase in processor speed is not in my mind significant (400 to 500 MHz). Maybe it is, I am no hardware expert. I'm also not sure of the gain going from USB 1.0 to 2.0. Other than that, the limitations I am reading about that you are having with the DT366 are all still there with the DT360, small storage ( both flash and RAM).

Is it possible to just use an external USB hard drive and tuck it into the battery spot in the back (perhaps the USB 2.0 speed would come into play here?)? This could be hard wired in like another poster did with a memory stick so the wires don't exit the case.

Will the unit run on the second battery with the primary battery removed?

I see on the DT website that there are different size storage options (up to 8GB Flash and 1GB memory) available for the DT360. Does that mean it is more easily upgradeable than the DT366 or is this done during manufacture?

Lots of questions, not enough answers  ???

Bruce Bennett
plane_crazy
plane_crazy

Re: DT360 better than DT366??

Post by plane_crazy »

Thanks for the reply darkcirca.

Any response to the other questions?
1) Is the ~150.00 increase in price worth it?
2) Is the increase in processor speed significant?
3) USB 1.0 to 2.0 ??
4) Is it possible to boot from a USB HDD?

You say the flash is easily accessable, is it also easily changed and does it require proprietary flash?

I appreciate your time, and am ready to buy one of these and just need to figure out which one is best bang for the buck.

Bruce
plane_crazy
plane_crazy

Post by plane_crazy »

Also:

If the wireless card is internal does the unit still have a PCMCIA slot? I ask because I have a PCMCIA card at home that provides 2 USB ports.

Bruce
plane_crazy
sunnyvoip

Post by sunnyvoip »

Let me answer your question since nobody here know too much on DT360.

NO, the PCMCIA slot is not available any more since the mini PCI slot (for the 802.11g wifi card) occupied the space of PCMCIA internal outlet space.

There is still a PCMCIA cover on the DT360 but when you open the cover, you'll see the WIFI card used the internal space already.

You can simply get a mini 4-port USB hub to get the more than 1 USB port. It's available for $5 or so on ebay.
plane_crazy wrote: Also:

If the wireless card is internal does the unit still have a PCMCIA slot? I ask because I have a PCMCIA card at home that provides 2 USB ports.

Bruce
sunnyvoip

Post by sunnyvoip »

1) It's $100 increase($160 vs $260). The DT360 has BETTER CONDITION, many parts are new or almost new since these are on duty for less than 1 year vs DT366 were used by TxxxxT(a big retail company who use these tablet to do warehouse management) for several years.

2) The processor speed is significant ONLY when you use other OS such as Windows XP embedded(NOT INCLUDED) or Windows XP (not included neither, see other topic in this forum how to port it). You can't feel too much on Windows CE (comes with this unit);

3)USB 2.0 is a big advantage if you want use it as a NAS controller or you have a lot of storage job to do for this tablet PC;
4)YES both DT366 and DT360 can boot from USB (Tried USB key, USB CD ROM so USB HD shouldn't be a problem).

plane_crazy wrote: Thanks for the reply darkcirca.

Any response to the other questions?
1) Is the ~150.00 increase in price worth it?
2) Is the increase in processor speed significant?
3) USB 1.0 to 2.0 ??
4) Is it possible to boot from a USB HDD?

You say the flash is easily accessable, is it also easily changed and does it require proprietary flash?

I appreciate your time, and am ready to buy one of these and just need to figure out which one is best bang for the buck.

Bruce
rectic

Post by rectic »

The 360 is newer, been around for at least 2 years. It's a lot easier to get parts for as well (such as the cradles).

Most of the ones for sale on eBay are CE, but a lot were sold with XP and XPe. I'm guessing that the companies kept those. You can upgrade it to XPe, and the  flash chip can be purchase from a reseller as well. It's a lot easier to access too (in with the battery).

The flash is the same as the 366 - it has a little bit bigger rubber piece on it though to better support it. DT does things proprietary, annoying, but that's what happens.

More of these will be on the market in the next year or two, as DT releases their two new tablets - 312/362, which has the atom processor. They are released/being released this summer I believe.
http://www.computex.biz/CompanyIntervie ... t_id=32810